Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Biking all the way

Yup, got myself a new racing bike the day before I got the message that I was in on this challenge. I was thinking about shifting my focus from running road races to biking road races because I was missing the competition since I have reduced the amount of running I was doing - due to age...or...just over use of the key components of my body...my knees.

Anyway, I have to push myself and have to feel the excitement of racing again. So, now that I am sharing my time with road biking and mountain biking, I figured that even if I take long rides on my road bike, I would still be adding to my cardio and to my strength for my awesome challenge with RaceDayRush! Seriously, I want to win it!

So, I undertook the ride from my house to work and back twice last week. Was about a 15K ride there and clearly a 15K ride back. As my friends know, I live in Mt. Hope and ride to the Hammer for work - downtown. Yup, DOWNTOWN - that means, there is only one way back up! THE HILL, a hill, any hill! The first time I tried, I failed miserably. Not knowing that I was gearing up in the 18th gear - can you say dumbass????

Anyway, after a review with my hubby on how to gear up and gear down, I got it. I got it and I made it. That hill...that elusive hill did not get the best of me again, boy. I fought through the burn. My legs wanted to quit. I kept telling myself what I tell my classes at the Y everyday I teach "You can always do more than you think you can". It worked.

Find the strength. Keep the will!

T

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Cycling is a great way to stay in shape when your joints begin to ache. No pounding. It's great you can ride to work. What a challenge - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! I'm impressed. You will have to tell me about this whole gear thing cause I'm going to start biking this week and no nothing about it....besides to pedal :)

    ReplyDelete